Sunday, October 21, 2007

Perception

I've always been overcritical about myself, due to people's expectations and reactions. It's always been more natural for me [and isn't it for anybody?] to listen to negative comments, even the gratuitious ones, even the ones coming from my very self. So it's always very sweet to be perceived as fun and witty when I think I'm being silly, to be told I'm adored even when I make mistakes, that I'm prettier when I'm without my make-up on...
Of course physical appearance is often an issue. Being tiny and slim, though I've never had the shortness complex, I once was the ugly duckling, sickly thin and inadequate – that's why I fail to see why thinness is so overrated now. I couldn't ever take for granted that I was pretty, and even now that I know my qualities from my defects, I sometimes have to remind myself I'm fine. But it's easier now, and I even have some nice surprises, from my own view and from my neighbour's. And it's sweet to be seen gracious and even sexy without making effort to be overtly so, classy when dressing casual and just a tad feminine, stylish without caring about trends... I like to think I have some inner quality that shows outside, oh yes.

No comments: